See our Facebook page for a listing and photos of the newest adoptable wiener dogs as they come into the rescue and when they are ready to adopt we list at the link to the right.
Our most current events and updates are on our Facebook page with photos from events, photos and videos of the dogs for adoption, free vet advice and questions answered and more. We update that page daily with over 10,000 folks on that page now.
WE ARE NOT BREEDERS. DO NOT ASK US ABOUT PUPPIES PLEASE. IF YOU WANT TO HELP US SAVE THE LIVES OF HOMELESS DOGS KEEP READING. WE TURN AWAY 500+ UNWANTED DOGS A YEAR SO WE WILL NOT BE HELPING YOU TO BREED MORE. WE ONLY KNOW BAD BREEDERS HERE. PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR REFERRALS FOR GOOD BREEDERS AS WE DO NOT HAVE TO RESCUE THEIR DOGS. THEY PLACE THEIR OWN DOGS WITHOUT US. WHY SHOP WHEN SO MANY NEED TO BE ADOPTED?
All of our dogs are fixed, up to date on their shots and worming so we give any health records we are given or start more records (be aware most dogs come to rescue with NO records), come with personalities guarantees, adoption packages including food, collar, leash, harness coat, toys blankets and crates, if we have those donated items in stock.
REQUIREMENTS TO ADOPT A DOG FROM US: Read this information and scroll down for the form to fill in please. It is always apparent when folks do not read first before filling in our waiting list form below. It may take some time for the form to load on phones so please be patient. Thanks.
Those who do not read below it is very obvious when they fill in adoption form below when looking for puppies or they do not have fenced yards. Thanks.
1. If in town we do not adopt hunting dogs which are loud and very active to apartments, town homes, condos or invisible fencing. We require a fenced yard to keep this breed from running off while following their noses. If in the country we will ask how you will contain this breed and keep them from running off. We are very concerned about them being run over which is the number one way this breed passes away, other than old age or accidents.
2. Please read each dog's bio by clicking their photos at www.drnw.petfinder.com They all have different needs and we were very specific about them in their bios we put online. Do ask questions too but we ask you read first.
3. We do not adopt this breed to children under age 8. Many we get have already chomped toddlers, chickens, cats, birds, pocket pets and the neighbors. This is a hunting breed and they do bite. Not all are aggressive but they can be and the number one reason they come to us is they have already bit folks. We work with them and rehome them once that happens. They are not a great breed with small children or the number one reason they come to us. Some we adopt need adults only or one dog homes, etc.
4. They rarely stay housebroke. This breed is too smart to pee in the rain or snow or wind unless people walk outside with them to make them make outside messes. Why use a doggy door if they can pee on the rug in front of it? They also use revenge peeing and vindictive pooing when mad and being ignored. This breed thinks they are children and not dogs and if you do not have time to adopt a needy child then this is not your breed. They are very smart and one of the smartest breeds out there so we hope we adopt them to people who are smarter than their dogs who always make up their own rules in life.
5. They need a ton of time and interaction. They do not wait on the couch for you to talk to them. They are a very involved breed who are clingy with their people and assist them in every single thing in life.
6. Dachshunds are very loud and they are watch dogs or another reason we cannot place in homes with shared walls. They bark and alert a lot. If you want a quiet breed then they are not it. They were bred to hunt in packs and use their voices to flush badgers and wolverines under ground for the hunters who were top side. This is a very tenacious and strong willed breed. They will not listen to someone who is not their pack leader and who makes them mind and have manners. Once you are in charge then this is a very loving breed but please do not allow them to run your home or you will regret it later.
7. Dachshunds can be a tough breed but also funny clowns, intensely loyal, playful and happy. They love toys and laps equally. If they get bored then they get into trouble so their people must keep them entertained. Either you love an interactive breed of dog or you do not not. This one is hands on until they die. We tell folks of their personalities when adopting so please pay attention when meeting a potential foster as we match dogs to the right homes at this rescue.
8. This breed digs with the shovels on their front feet. If you have a pristine yard and want to keep it that way, then not your breed. Not all have a high prey drive but most do when bred to be the world's smallest hunting dogs. They must be watched so they are not digging all the time or digging out under fencing so leaving them loose in your yard with a doggy door while you are gone is never recommended. Plus many folks break fencing with their cars or drive up to tall fences and just hop over to steal small dogs so keep them inside if you are gone and not there watching them. They are never ones who are best when left alone as they will get into trouble and they will find the tiniest hole in your fencing to dig out and escape to try and find their people or find some fun. Make sure you have wiener proof fencing before filling in the adoption application below.
Again, we are not breeders and we do NOT have puppies usually. Please do not ask us for pups! Most folks want young dogs and you have to buy them from breeders. The dogs we have are the ones listed at www.drnw.petfinder.com or the scrolling list of dogs above. We are not secretly breeding any puppies and never will, unlike some other fake dog rescuers in this region. Even our personal dogs are fixed and always will be fixed!
We help dachshunds and dogs of all breeds but usually smaller.breeds, not larger ones. We are set up for small breeds and if we get a group of dogs that has larger breeds or mixes we get them off to the right rescuers or www.spokanimal.org as needed. Spokanimal is the best animal shelter in town and place more pets than the other two shelters combined!
Have we scared you off yet from this breed? No? If not then fill in the form to adopt from us. Please be honest on the form below and we will see if we have the right dog for you.
If you do not hear back within a week from filling in this form below please call 509-796-2140 and leave a message. We are rarely near the phone here when working animals so leave a voicemail. This is a land line so no texting. Message only. You can also message us through our rescue's Facebook page when emails and social media messages are much faster than talking on the phone here. It is hard to talk on the phone with barking and playing dogs in a small farm house. Now and then emails do not come through so get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org also. I check voicemails once a day and emails several times a day here.
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING ABOVE BEFORE FILLING IN THIS FORM BELOW. THANKS FOR THAT.
If the scroller below is not working, please go to: www.drnw.petfinder.com
Keep reading and scrolling below for our adoption form. Thanks.
Dachshund Rescue NW and Dachshund Club of Spokane
Dachshund Rescue NW ©
All rights reserved
Copyright 1996 - 2021, Dachshund Rescue NW - Nothing on
this site may be copied or used without written permission
of the webmaster, www.dragoonstudios.net
All photos and articles are courtesy of Dragoon Studios
and may not be copied or used without written
permission as they are copyrighted materials. All unauthorized use of any content on this site will be prosecuted.